Translate

lauantai 26. tammikuuta 2013

Snaretalk (DIY Tom to Snare Conversion)

Howdy!

Do you still remember that 10" tom I was going to convert to a snare? Well, now it's completely destroyed... Hahaa, just kidding! Last night I upgraded it to a whole new level by adding some Supi Saunavaha on it. It is a stainlike wax for wooden surfaces made from natural compounds. That stuff is usually used for sauna benches (propably best translation for 'saunanlaude'). The Instructions said it's not recommended for oiled surfaces, but I did it anyway. Because I can.

At first I tested wax on a piece of normal plywood, and it seemed to absorb well despite the oil. A bit of sandpaper and a steel brush did the job. So, firstly I used the steel brush to open a wood grain a bit, then roughened the surface with sandpaper, cleaned it with a brush and a vacuum cleaner. After that I finally added couple of layers of stain on it with a help of a piece of foam. Inside of the snare is then again opened a bit with the steel brush. It gives that special antique look I was looking for. After that I engraved those runes again, so they burst into the sight better. I'm sure there is no better time to do that, for gods sake it is full moon now!

I'm still thinking the right name for this piece of percussion. Something from the Finnish Mythology maybe...

I'm still in need of the appropriate snare heads before testing the sound itself.

Cut the bullshit, here's the situation for now:

Phases I, II and III

I'm in a hurry now, so pictures of full assembled snare coming later. Ride on!

-A. Heiskanen

Ei kommentteja :

Lähetä kommentti